After reception of your application form, we will contact you to obtain the documents listed below and required to open your file.
1. Proof of Canadian citizenship or permanent residence
A copy of at least one of the following documents:
- Birth certificate (issued by a provincial or territorial government)
- Certificate of Indian Status or Secure Certificate of Indian Status (both sides)
- Canadian passport identification page
- Canadian citizenship certificate or card (both sides)
- Valid Canadian permanent resident card (both sides)
Note: Please ensure that the document bears the name that you wish to see used in the grant or registration of your emblems.
A summary of your education, work experience and community service, including dates and locations
3. If applicable, documents for your descendants
For each descendant for whom you are requesting a cadet shield, a copy of:
- A completed application form for heirs (only available as a PDF)
- Their government-issued birth certificate (long form, indicating the names of their parents)
Note: If they use a name that is different from the name shown on their birth certificate, please provide documentation indicating the change.
4. For a registration, the emblem-related documents
If you are applying to register arms that have already been granted, please also include:
- In the case of emblems not granted by the chief herald of Canada, a high-resolution, full-colour image of the original official document by which they were granted or assigned. The emblems, the full text of the document and the signatures must be clearly visible.
- In cases of inheritance of arms, a full family tree linking you to the ancestor who received the original grant of arms. Note that every generation, including all children, must be detailed with birth and death dates.
Fill out the online application form.
After reception of the application form, we will contact you to obtain the documents listed below and required to open a file for your organization.
1. For all applications
A copy of the following three documents:
- The document by which the organization was incorporated (or otherwise legally established) in Canada, including the date and, if applicable, the organization’s name in English and French
- A summary of the organization’s history and an outline of its current activities
- A recent annual report or financial records
2. For a grant application
Also include a copy of the resolution of the organization’s governing body approving the request for a grant of emblems.
3. For a registration application
Also include a high-resolution, full-colour image of the original official document by which the emblems were granted or assigned. The emblems, the full text of the document and the signatures must be clearly visible.