The Governor General sends messages of congratulations to Canadians marking a special occasion or significant milestone in their communities.
Guidelines for requesting, receiving and publishing messages from the Governor General
- The completed request form must be received no later than eight (8) weeks prior to the requested delivery date.
- It is the responsibility of the requester to complete the form in full. Failure to do so may result in a later delivery date or your request being refused.
- The Office of the Secretary to the Governor General (OSGG) will assess each message request on a case-by-case basis and will notify the requester if a message cannot be provided. Due to time constraints and a high volume of submissions, we cannot accept every request. Obtaining a message one year does not guarantee obtaining one the next.
- Messages are written in support of a designated event and will only be used for the purposes indicated on the request form and authorized by the OSGG; they cannot be used for marketing, publicity or endorsement.
- Requests for messages to celebrate a new position, promotion, retirement or personal event will not be accepted.
- Messages will not be provided to organizations that are partisan or political in nature, nor will they be given to sitting politicians.
- Messages will be sent to the recipient organization directly and cannot be delivered via a third party (e.g. members of federal/provincial parliament, municipal officers).
- Messages cannot be altered in any way without prior written approval from the OSGG.
- The language of the message must not be changed without permission. Translation into English or French is the responsibility of the OSGG.
If you have questions or if you are unable to fill out the online form and wish to obtain a printable form, please contact Editorial Services at 613-993-2189 or firstname.lastname@example.org.