Please note that the application period for summer 2020 is from October 15, 2019, to January 27, 2020.
La Citadelle of Québec has been the official residence and workplace of Canada’s governors general since 1872. As a student guide-interpreter, you will have the opportunity to:
- work at an exceptionally beautiful site, in the heart of Old Québec;
- greet thousands of visitors, from dignitaries to students to tourists;
- conduct tours to help visitors learn more about the duties carried out by the governor general of Canada while discovering the history, architecture and collections of the residence;
- be a part of a unique experience at the heart of the action;
- develop your public speaking skills in both official languages;
- develop your general knowledge and professional abilities, making your transition to the workforce easier upon graduation; and
- work alongside other students with whom you will form lasting friendships.
Eligibility Criteria, Qualifications and Conditions of Employment:
To be eligible for a summer 2020 student guide-interpreter position, you must
- be a Canadian citizen;
- be registered in a full-time undergraduate program for the winter 2020 academic session;
- intend to return to full-time university studies in the fall 2020 academic session; and
- meet the FSWEP eligibility criteria.
The candidates we are seeking must have
- excellent oral communication skills in both official languages (English and French);
- strong presentation skills and ability to speak to a variety of audiences (adults, children, etc.);
- personal qualities that are client-, service- and teamwork-oriented; and
- good general knowledge of Canadian history.
Candidates must be prepared to
- wear and maintain a uniform;
- work indoors and outdoors in various weather conditions;
- obtain and maintain a Reliability Status security clearance;
- respect the Code of Conduct of the Office of the Secretary to the Governor General; and
- work a variable schedule that includes weekends, statutory holidays and occasional evenings during official events, for the entire duration of the work term.
The summer positions are full-time (35 hours a week) from April 27 to August 30, 2020, with a possibility of being rehired part-time during the 2020-21 academic year.
Residence of the Governor General at the Citadelle
418-648-4322 or 1-866-866-4422 (toll-free)
Join our wonderful, dynamic team!
An amazing experience awaits!
My job as a guide-interpreter at the Residence of the Governor General at the Citadelle has been an enriching work experience, one that is related to both my field of study and my interest in Canadian heritage. Because every tour is different, I have become more adaptable and have had the opportunity to develop my communication skills in both official languages.
Rideau Hall is an ideal workplace to meet people from around the world and to share our knowledge and passion for Canada’s history. What makes this job so unique and exciting is that we never stop learning.My work experience as a guide-interpreter allowed me to acquire in-depth knowledge of Canada’s political system and history. It has been wonderful showing the reception rooms in this historic site to visitors from around the world! It has also been an enriching experience to work in a bilingual environment, which has helped me to become more eloquent and versatile.
Being a guide-interpreter at the Residence of the Governor General is a great way to improve your public speaking skills and learn more about everything from Canadian history to heraldry. It is also a wonderful opportunity to meet people from around the world. Each visit is unique and exciting because visitors ask the kinds of questions that help us to grow and be the best that we can be.