Please note that the application period for summer 2023 ends on January 25, 2023.
Rideau Hall has been the official residence and workplace of Canada’s governors general since 1867.
As a student guide-interpreter, you will have the opportunity to
- work at an exceptionally beautiful site;
- greet and guide many of the thousands of visitors who come to Rideau Hall each year;
- welcome guests and dignitaries at official events in the presence of the Governor General (occasionally);
- conduct informative tours to help visitors learn more about the duties carried out by the Governor General, as well as the history, architecture and collections of the residence;
- develop your public speaking skills in both official languages;
- gain recognized work experience within the federal public service;
- work alongside other students with whom you will form lasting friendships; and
- develop your general knowledge and professional abilities, making your transition to the workforce easier upon graduation.
Eligibility Criteria, Qualifications and Conditions of Employment
To be eligible for a summer 2023 student guide-interpreter position, you must
- be available to work full-time from May 1 to September 4, 2023;
- be registered in a full-time undergraduate program for the winter 2023 academic session;
- intend to return to full-time university studies in the fall 2023 academic session; and
- meet the FSWEP eligibility criteria.
The candidates we are seeking must have
- excellent oral communication skills in both official languages (English and French);
- strong presentation skills suitable for various audiences (adults, children, etc.); and
- personal qualities that are visitor service- and teamwork-oriented.
*Note: Candidates must be able to offer guided tours and answer complex questions in both official languages. If you meet this criterion, please indicate “Bilingual - English and French” in your application.
Candidates must be prepared to
- wear and maintain a uniform;
- work indoors and outdoors in various weather conditions;
- obtain and maintain a Reliability Status security clearance;
- respect the Code of Conduct of the Office of the Secretary to the Governor General; and
- work a variable schedule that includes weekends, statutory holidays and occasional evenings.
Starting from $18.17/hour
Join our wonderful, dynamic team! How to Apply.
An amazing experience awaits!
My job as a guide-interpreter at the Residence of the Governor General at the Citadelle has been an enriching work experience, one that is related to both my field of study and my interest in Canadian heritage. Because every tour is different, I have become more adaptable and have had the opportunity to develop my communication skills in both official languages.
Rideau Hall is an ideal workplace to meet people from around the world and to share our knowledge and passion for Canada’s history. What makes this job so unique and exciting is that we never stop learning. My work experience as a guide-interpreter allowed me to acquire in-depth knowledge of Canada’s political system and history. It has been wonderful showing the reception rooms in this historic site to visitors from around the world! It has also been an enriching experience to work in a bilingual environment, which has helped me to become more eloquent and versatile.
Being a guide-interpreter at the Residence of the Governor General is a great way to improve your public speaking skills and learn more about everything from Canadian history to heraldry. It is also a wonderful opportunity to meet people from around the world. Each visit is unique and exciting because visitors ask the kinds of questions that help us to grow and be the best that we can be.