Please note that the application period for summer 2019 is from October 16, 2018, to January 21, 2019.
Rideau Hall has been the official residence and workplace of Canada’s governors general since 1867. As a student guide-interpreter, you will have the opportunity to
- work at an exceptionally beautiful site;
- greet thousands of visitors, from dignitaries to students to tourists;
- conduct tours to help visitors learn more about the duties carried out by the governor general of Canada while discovering the history, architecture and collections of the residence;
- be a part of a unique experience at the heart of the action;
- develop your public speaking skills in both official languages;
- develop your general knowledge and professional abilities, making your transition to the workforce easier upon graduation; and
- work alongside other students with whom you will form lasting friendships.
Eligibility Criteria, Qualifications and Conditions of Employment
To be eligible for a summer 2019 student guide-interpreter position, you must
- be a Canadian citizen;
- be registered in a full-time undergraduate program for the winter 2019 academic session;
- intend to return to full-time university studies in the fall 2019 academic session; and
- meet the FSWEP eligibility criteria
The candidates we are seeking must have
- excellent oral communication skills in both official languages (English and French);
- strong presentation skills and ability to speak to a variety of audiences (adults, children, etc.);
- personal qualities that are client-, service- and teamwork-oriented; and
- good general knowledge of Canadian history.
Candidates must be prepared to
- wear and maintain a uniform;
- work indoors and outdoors in various weather conditions;
- obtain and maintain a Reliability Status security clearance;
- respect the Code of Conduct of the Office of the Secretary to the Governor General; and
- work a variable schedule that includes weekends, statutory holidays and occasional evenings during official events.
The summer positions are full-time (35 hours a week) from April 29 to September 2, 2019, with a possibility of being rehired part-time during the 2019-20 academic year.
613-991-4422 or 1-866-842-4422 (toll-free)
Join our wonderful, dynamic team! Apply today!
An amazing experience awaits!
Since arriving at Rideau Hall, I have developed a wide range of skills that will be useful in many areas of my life. The fact that I can bring our history to life by sharing it with my fellow citizens has taught me so much about my own legacy and what it means to be Canadian.
Rideau Hall is an ideal workplace to meet people from around the world and to share our knowledge and passion for Canada’s history. What makes this job so unique and exciting is that we never stop learning.
Being a guide-interpreter has given me the chance to meet fantastic visitors from all walks of life and to improve my public speaking skills. Rideau Hall is a wonderful workplace that lets us not only share our knowledge with visitors, but also learn more about Canada every day!