The Trinity College School

Port Hope, Ontario
Grant of Arms and Supporters
October 14, 1992
Vol. II, p. 195

Arms of Trinity College School
Arms of Trinity College School
 
Arms of Trinity College School

Arms of Trinity College School

Blazon

The Arms of the Diocese of Toronto of the Anglican Church of Canada impaling Azure on a chevron Argent between three lozenges Or an otter's head erased Sable all within a bordure Argent;

Symbolism

The structure of the arms, composed of two halves within a border, is similar to that of the University of Trinity College whose support was obtained in 1865 to create The Trinity College School in Weston, Ontario. On the left side are the arms of the Diocese of Toronto. The right side honours the Rt. Rev. Alexander Neil Bethune, who was Bishop of Toronto when the school moved to Port Hope in 1868, with a new combination of charges found in the Bethune and Balfour arms. The border is used as a difference.

Crest

Blazon

An open book edged Or bound Gules resting on the pages thereof a mitre Azure charged with two scallop shells in fess Or the orphreys also Or infulae Azure fringed Or;

Symbolism

The mitre alludes to the episcopal status of Bishop Bethune. Borrowing inspiration from the crest of the University of Trinity College, the mitre is placed on a book. The scallop shells are based on the scallop shell crest used by the Rev. William Johnson, the founder of the school.

Supporters

Blazon

On a grassy mound bearing two maple saplings proper leaved Or dexter a stag also Or unguled and attired Argent gorged with a torse Gules and Sable sinister a bear Or armed Argent and gorged with a like collar;

Symbolism

The stag is one of the supporters of the University of Trinity College, and the bear is the school’s mascot. Each wears a collar of twists of maroon and black, the school’s athletic colours. The maple saplings refer to the school’s students thriving in Canada.

Motto

Blazon

BEATI MUNDO CORDE;

Symbolism

This Latin phrase means “Blessed are the pure in heart”. It was adopted by the Rev. Charles Badgley, Headmaster (1865-1870), from the motto of St. John’s School, Hurstpierpoint in Sussex, England, where he had been assistant master.

 

Background

Canada Gazette Information

The announcement of the Letters Patent was made on December 5, 1992 in Volume 2, page 195 of the Canada Gazette.

Letters Patent granting Armorial Bearings to Trinity College School

Additional Information

Creator(s)

Original concept of Robert Black, assisted by the heralds of the Canadian Heraldic Authority.

Painter

Linda Nicholson

Calligrapher

Nancy Ellis

Recipient Type

Civil Institution Elementary & Secondary

Other Information