December 13, 2021
OTTAWA, Ontario—Today, during a ceremony at Rideau Hall, Her Excellency the Right Honourable Mary Simon, Governor General of Canada, presented honours to 22 exceptional individuals. The ceremony was attended by a small gathering of family and friends who joined in celebrating the recipients and their accomplishments.
The Canadian Honours System recognizes extraordinary people and their remarkable contributions to Canada. Today’s recipients come from all walks of life, and share a desire to achieve excellence through contributions to their communities and to Canada, whether it be through heroic acts, remarkable deeds or exceptional volunteerism.
Nominations for Canadian honours are accepted on an ongoing basis throughout the year. Shine a spotlight on someone extraordinary by nominating them for a Canadian honour.
- Encouraging excellence is at the core of every governor general's mandate.
- The Meritorious Service Decorations (Civil Division) recognize individuals who have performed a deed at a very high standard, bringing honour to Canada. These deeds range from advocacy initiatives or fundraising campaigns to providing services to local communities.
- The Decorations for Bravery celebrate courageous individuals who have risked their lives in order to try to save someone in imminent danger.
- The Sovereign’s Medal for Volunteers recognizes the exceptional volunteer achievements of individuals, and pays tribute to their dedication and commitment.
- Anyone can nominate a person for a Canadian honour. Each nomination is researched before being reviewed by an independent advisory committee or council, which then makes recommendations to the governor general.
Rideau Hall Press Office