The Fire Services Exemplary Service Medal, created on August 29, 1985, honours members of a recognized Canadian fire service who have completed 20 years of service, ten years of which have been served in the performance of duties involving potential risks, and were employed on or after the date of creation of the Medal. Recognized fire services include Canadian fire departments, fire marshals’ offices, fire commissioners’ offices and the Canadian Forces fire services. Exemplary service is characterized by good conduct, industry and efficiency.
Consideration is given only to periods of service for which no other long service, good conduct or efficiency decoration or medal has been awarded by the Crown. The Medal may be awarded posthumously.
Description: a circular medal:
- on the obverse of which is a stylized maple leaf bearing a fire hydrant with crossed axes, upon which a Maltese cross is centred, and which is circumscribed with EXEMPLARY SERVICE . SERVICES DISTINGUÉS, and
- on the reverse of which is the Royal Cipher
- the Medal is suspended from a ribbon of five equal stripes, two gold and three red; a Bar, bearing a stylized maple leaf, may be awarded to a recipient of the Medal for each additional 10-year period of service in the Canadian fire service.
A new electronic nomination form has been developed to facilitate the nomination process. Click on the link below to get started.
Please note the following:
- As of May 12, 2015, only electronic forms will be accepted by the Chancellery of Honours.
- More than one nomination can be listed on each form.
If you do not already have Adobe Reader, download the latest version for free from the Adobe website.
Save the blank form on your computer desktop.
Use Adobe Reader to Open the file.
Note to Google Chrome users:
Google Chrome uses a different PDF reader that may render the form inoperable. To avoid this issue, open the file from the folder where it was saved.
To locate the PDF file from your browser, click on the arrow next to the downloaded file icon at the bottom left of your screen and click on "Show in folder" (on a PC) or "Show in Finder" (on a Mac). Double-click to open the file.
Fill in all fields and carefully review the information for accuracy.
Save the completed form.
Attach the completed form to an email and send it to the next level for approval.
PLEASE NOTE: Each user must click on the "Recommend" button to identify that it has been approved at each level.
The last person to approve the nomination(s) must send the completed form (via e-mail only) to ESM-MSE-NOMINATIONS@gg.ca, for processing by the Chancellery of Honours.
If you experience difficulties downloading or viewing the nomination form, a copy of it can be sent to you via email.
For more information or technical assistance on the nomination process or the Exemplary Service Medal program, please contact us, by telephone at (toll-free) 1-800-465-6890, or by email at ESM-MSE-NOMINATIONS@gg.ca.