The Governor General sends messages of congratulations to Canadians marking a special occasion or significant milestone in their communities.
Guidelines for requesting, receiving and publishing messages from the Governor General
- Requests must be received no later than 8 weeks prior to an event or printing deadline.
- Submissions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Due to the high volume of requests we receive, responses are not guaranteed.
- The Governor General does not provide messages for an event or organization that is partisan or political in nature.
- Messages are written in support of a designated event. They are not intended, nor can they be used, for any other purpose, nor can they be distributed by any other means, including websites, social media or marketing/endorsement materials.
- Messages cannot be altered in any way without prior written approval from the Office of the Secretary to the Governor General.
- The language of the message must not be changed without permission. Translations into French or English are the responsibility of the Office of the Secretary to the Governor General.
- If you have questions or inquiries, please write to email@example.com or call 613-993-2189 or 1-800-465-6890 (toll-free in Canada and the U.S.).
You may also print the Special Occasion Message Request Form, complete it and send it by regular mail (no postage necessary) to
Office of the Secretary to the Governor General
c/o Editorial Services
1 Sussex Drive
Ottawa ON K1A 0A1
In order to avoid duplication, please choose only one method to submit your request.