Swearing-In Ceremony - Sequence of Events
November 3, 2015
Sequence of Events of the Swearing-In Ceremony
of Canada’s 23rd Prime Minister and Cabinet
OTTAWA—The Office of the Secretary to the Governor General is pleased to share the details regarding the transfer of power and the swearing-in ceremony of Mr. Justin Trudeau as Canada’s 23rd prime minister and members of the 29th Canadian ministry (Cabinet) taking place in the Rideau Hall Ballroom, on Wednesday, November 4, 2015, at 10:30 a.m. (EST).
The ceremony will be broadcast live on television and online at swearing-in.gg.ca. Follow the conversation and updates on the swearing-in ceremony on the Governor General’s social media accounts GGDavidJohnston and RideauHall, and alsoby using #PM23 and #SwearingIn.
Below is the sequence of events (approximate timings):
9 a.m.—Arrival of members of the public on the grounds of Rideau Hall via Thomas and Mackay pedestrian gates. Guests attending the swearing-in ceremony will arrive via the residence’s main entrance. (OPEN TO MEDIA)
9:40 a.m.— Placement of the Great Seal of Canada in the Ballroom. (MEDIA POOL)
9:45-10 a.m.—Arrival on foot of Prime Minister-designate Justin Trudeau and the ministers-designate via the main drive. (OPEN TO MEDIA)
10 a.m.—The Prime Minister-designate and Mrs. Grégoire-Trudeau meet with Their Excellencies the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, and Mrs. Sharon Johnston.
(CLOSED TO MEDIA)
10:29 a.m.—The Secretary to the Governor General announces the arrival of the ministers-designate, the Prime Minister-designate, Mrs. Grégoire-Trudeau and Their Excellencies in the Ballroom. (MEDIA POOL)
10:30 a.m.—The swearing-in ceremony begins. (MEDIA POOL)
10:33 a.m.—The swearing-in of the Prime Minister-designate begins. (MEDIA POOL)
- The official oaths (Oath of Allegiance, Oath of the Members of the Privy Council, and Oath of Office) are administered to the Prime Minister-designate by Janice Charette, Clerk of the Privy Council and Secretary to the Cabinet, at the commencement of the swearing-in ceremony.
- The Prime Minister-designate signs the oath books, followed by the Governor General and the Clerk of the Privy Council and Secretary to the Cabinet.
10:45 a.m.—The newly sworn-in Prime Minister signs the Instrument of Advice nominating his ministry and presents it to the Governor General. (MEDIA POOL)
- The Governor General signs the Instrument of Advice to accept the recommendations by the Prime Minister.
10:48 a.m.—The swearing-in of the ministers-designate begins. (MEDIA POOL)
- Ministers-designate who are already members of the Privy Council take the Oath of Office, while ministers-designate who are not already members of the Privy Council first take the Oath of Allegiance and then the Oath of the Members of the Privy Council, before taking the Oath of Office.
- Following the swearing-in of the last member of the ministry, the Governor General, the Prime Minister and the Clerk of the Privy Council sign the oath books to formally attest to the swearing-in of the new ministry.
11:29 a.m.—The Governor General of Canada entrusts the Great Seal of Canada to the Registrar General of Canada. (MEDIA POOL)
11:30 a.m.—The swearing-in ceremony ends with the National Anthem. (MEDIA POOL)
11:45 a.m.—An official photo of the Governor General with the Prime Minister and Cabinet is taken in the Ballroom. (OPEN TO CAMERAS AND STILLS ONLY)
12:20 p.m.—The Prime Minister, in the presence of his Cabinet, will deliver a statement in front of the Rideau Hall facade. (OPEN TO MEDIA)
Note that prior to the swearing-in ceremony, the Right Honourable Stephen Harper will meet privately with the Governor General at Rideau Hall to formally resign as prime minister of Canada.
For more information on the swearing-in of a new ministry, the swearing-in of privy councillors, the official oaths and the Great Seal of Canada, visit swearing-in.gg.ca.
There will be a live MEDIA POOL feed of the swearing-in ceremony inside the Rideau Hall Ballroom. For more information on media accreditation, please contact Collin Lafrance at the Parliamentary Press Gallery at 613-992-6517 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
On the day of the ceremony, accredited media must be on the grounds no later than
9 a.m. and must wear their press identification card at all times.
Parking for media will be located where the Rideau Hall skating rink is situated.
Rideau Hall Press Office