Emergency Medical Services Exemplary Service Medal
The Emergency Medical Services Exemplary Service Medal, created on July 7, 1994, recognizes professionals in the provision of pre-hospital emergency medical services to the public, who have performed their duties in an exemplary manner, characterized by good conduct, industry and efficiency.
Recipients must have been employed with emergency medical services on or after October 31, 1991, and have completed 20 years of exemplary service, including at least 10 years in the performance of duties involving potential risk. Those with at least 10 years of service with emergency medical services may include, in the 20 years of service, service completed in another profession, provided this service has not been recognized by another long service, good conduct or efficiency decoration or medal awarded by the Crown. The Medal may be awarded posthumously.
Description: a circular medal:
- on the obverse of which is the Star of Life, superimposed on a maple leaf, and circumscribed with EXEMPLARY SERVICE . SERVICES DISTINGUÉS, and
- on the reverse of which is the Royal Cipher
- the Medal is suspended from a blue ribbon with two stripes of gold 6 mm in width, equally spaced, and three stripes of Philadelphia orange 2.3 mm in width, centred on the blue areas of the ribbon; a Bar with a stylized maple leaf may be awarded to a recipient of the Medal for each additional 10-year period of service with emergency medical services
A new electronic nomination form has been developed to facilitate the nomination process. Click on the link below to get started.
Please note the following:
- As of May 12, 2015, only electronic forms will be accepted by the Chancellery of Honours.
- More than one nomination can be listed on each form.
If you do not already have Adobe Reader, download the latest version for free from the Adobe website.
Save the blank form on your computer desktop.
Use Adobe Reader to Open the file.
Note to Google Chrome users:
Google Chrome uses a different PDF reader that may render the form inoperable. To avoid this issue, open the file from the folder where it was saved.
To locate the PDF file from your browser, click on the arrow next to the downloaded file icon at the bottom left of your screen and click on "Show in folder" (on a PC) or "Show in Finder" (on a Mac). Double-click to open the file.
Fill in all fields and carefully review the information for accuracy.
Save the completed form.
Attach the completed form to an email and send it to the next level for approval.
PLEASE NOTE: Each user must click on the "Recommend" button to identify that it has been approved at each level.
The last person to approve the nomination(s) must send the completed form (via e-mail only) to ESM-MSE-NOMINATIONS@gg.ca, for processing by the Chancellery of Honours.
If you experience difficulties downloading or viewing the nomination form, a copy of it can be sent to you via email.
For more information or technical assistance on the nomination process or the Exemplary Service Medal program, please contact us, by telephone at 613-993-2270 or (toll-free) 1-800-465-6890, or by email at ESM-MSE-NOMINATIONS@gg.ca.