In celebration of maple season, a long-standing tradition at Rideau Hall, check out this chilled apple and maple lassi recipe from Chef Louis. This milkshake-like drink is full of healthy ingredients and can be enjoyed with lots of different garnishes to top it off.
|Ice||1 ½ cups|
|Apple, chopped into cubes||1 cup|
|Maple syrup||3 tbsp.|
|Yogurt or coconut cream||1 cup|
|Lemon juice||2 tbsp.|
|Optional: Newfoundland Screech Rum||2 oz|
|Cacao powder||½ tsp.|
|Ground cinnamon||1 tsp.|
|Bitter cacao nibs||2 tsp.|
|Additional maple syrup (to drizzle)|
- In a blender, combine the ice, yogurt, apple cubes, lemon juice, maple syrup and optional rum. Blend until smooth.
- Fill a cocktail glass (or two, if you’re sharing) halfway, leaving the rest of the mix in the blender
- Add the cinnamon and cacao powder to the remaining mix in the blender, then pulse for a few seconds.
- Slowly pour the other half of the mix into the glass(es) so that the colour contrast is visible.
- Drizzle with additional maple syrup and sprinkle the cacao nibs on top.
- Garnish each glass with a slice of apple and a cinnamon stick.