Becoming a Guide
Please note that the application period for summer 2018 runs from November 1, 2017, to January 24, 2018.
Do you like to be part of the action? Would you like to meet people from around the world and enrich your language skills in both English and French? A job as a guide-interpreter may be for you!
Rideau Hall has been the official residence and workplace of Canada’s governors general since 1867. As a student guide-interpreter, you will have the opportunity to:
- work at an exceptionally beautiful site;
- greet thousands of visitors, from dignitaries to students to tourists;
- conduct tours to help visitors learn more about the duties carried out by the governor general of Canada while discovering the history, architecture and collections of the residence;
- be a part of a unique experience at the heart of the action;
- develop your public speaking skills in both official languages;
- develop your general knowledge and professional abilities, making your transition to the workforce easier upon graduation; and
- work alongside other students with whom you will form lasting friendships.
Eligibility Criteria, Qualifications and Conditions of Employment
To be eligible for a summer 2018 student guide-interpreter position, you must:
- be a Canadian citizen;
- be registered in a full-time undergraduate program for the winter 2018 academic session; and
- intend to return to full-time university studies in the fall 2018 academic session.
The candidates we are seeking must have:
- excellent oral communication skills in both official languages (English and French);
- strong presentation skills and ability to speak to a variety of audiences (adults, children, etc.);
- personal qualities that are client-, service- and teamwork-oriented; and
- good general knowledge of Canadian history.
Candidates must be prepared to:
- wear and maintain a uniform;
- work indoors and outdoors in various weather conditions;
- obtain and maintain a Reliability Status security clearance;
- respect the Code of Conduct of the Office of the Secretary to the Governor General; and
- work a variable schedule that includes weekends, statutory holidays and occasional evenings during official events.
The summer positions are full-time (35 hours a week) from April 30 to September 3, 2018, with a possibility of being rehired part-time during the 2018-19 academic year.
Residence of the Governor General at Rideau Hall
613-991-4422 or 1-866-842-4422 (toll-free)
Join our wonderful, dynamic team! Apply today!