Governor General in Huntsville
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada
, you can request alternate formats by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
June 24, 2010
During the G-8 Summit, Governor General to Meet with African Leaders, President Préval and Youth Leaders
OTTAWA—Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General of Canada, will greet African leaders who are attending the G8 Summit special session on Friday, June 25, 2010, at the Delta Grandview Resort in Huntsville, Ontario. Afterwards, she will meet with His Excellency René Préval, President of the Republic of Haiti. She will conclude her day by going to the University of Waterloo campus in Huntsville to meet with youth leaders from G-8 countries participating in My Summit 2010.
11:40 a.m. – Working luncheon with African leaders
The Governor General will host a working luncheon to welcome the following African leaders to Canada:
- His Excellency Abdelaziz Bouteflika, President of the People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria;
- His Excellency Abdoulaye Wade, President of the Republic of Senegal;
- His Excellency Bingu wa Mutharika, President of the Republic of Malawi and Chairperson of the African Union;
- His Excellency Jacob Gedleyihlekisa Zuma, President of the Republic of South Africa;
- His Excellency Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, President and Grand Commander of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;
- His Excellency Ato Meles Zanawi, Prime Minister of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and Chair of the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD);
- His Excellency Dr. Jean Ping, Chairperson of the African Union Commission.
PHOTO OP AT THE GREETING. Accredited media with the Summit should be in position by 11:25 a.m.
2:45 p.m. – Meeting with President Préval
The Governor General will meet with His Excellency René Préval, President of the Republic of Haiti.
PHOTO OP AT THE BEGINNING OF THE MEETING. Accredited media with the Summit should be in position by 2:30 p.m.
5 p.m. – Youth Dialogue at My Summit 2010
Her Excellency will engage in a dialogue with youth leaders from G-8 countries gathered to discuss G-8 issues at an international summit. She will deliver opening remarks, listen to the participants’ perspectives on global issues, and receive a Communiqué with recommendations that the youth will later present to G-8 leaders.
OPEN TO MEDIA. Accredited media with the Summit should be in position by 4:45 p.m.
– 30 –
Accredited media who wish to cover the events must contact
the Summits Management Office and My Summit 2010.