Becoming a Guide
Rideau Hall has been the official residence and workplace of Canada’s governors general since 1867. As a student guide-interpreter, you will have the opportunity to
- work at an exceptionally beautiful site;
- greet thousands of visitors, from dignitaries to students to tourists;
- conduct tours to help visitors learn more about the duties carried out by the governor general of Canada while discovering the history, architecture and collections of the residence;
- be a part of a unique experience at the heart of the action;
- develop your public speaking skills in both official languages;
- develop your general knowledge and professional abilities, making your transition to the workforce easier upon graduation; and
- work alongside other students with whom you will form lasting friendships.
Eligibility Criteria, Qualifications and Conditions of Employment
To be eligible for a summer 2018 student guide-interpreter position, you must
- be a Canadian citizen;
- be registered in a full-time undergraduate program for the winter 2018 academic session; and
- intend to return to full-time university studies in the fall 2018 academic session.
The candidates we are seeking must have
- excellent oral communication skills in both official languages (English and French);
- strong presentation skills and ability to speak to a variety of audiences (adults, children, etc.);
- personal qualities that are client-, service- and teamwork-oriented; and
- good general knowledge of Canadian history.
Candidates must be prepared to
- wear and maintain a uniform;
- work indoors and outdoors in various weather conditions;
- obtain and maintain a Reliability Status security clearance;
- respect the Code of Conduct of the Office of the Secretary to the Governor General; and
- work a variable schedule that includes weekends, statutory holidays and occasional evenings during official events.
The summer positions are full-time (35 hours a week) from April 30 to September 3, 2018, with a possibility of being rehired part-time during the 2018-19 academic year.
Residence of the Governor General at Rideau Hall
613-991-4422 or 1-866-842-4422 (toll-free)
Join our wonderful, dynamic team! Apply November 1st!
An amazing experience awaits!
Since I have started working at Rideau Hall, I have had the chance to develop a vast set of skills that I can take with me anywhere. Bringing our history alive every day by sharing it with fellow Canadians has made me become more aware of my own heritage and what it means to be Canadian.
— Kayla Cardinal Lafrance
Rideau Hall is an incredible place to work if you enjoy conversing with people from around the world and sharing with them your own knowledge and passion for Canadian history. What makes this job unique and captivating is the fact that it is a learning process that never ceases.
— Katarina Cappuccino
Being a tour guide has not only given me the chance to meet with amazing visitors from all walks of life, but it has also given me the opportunity to significantly improve my public speaking skills. Rideau Hall is a wonderful work environment that allows you to teach and learn new things about Canada every day!
— Jérémy Gauthier