Panellists to GG's Women's Conference
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada
, you can request alternate formats by contacting email@example.com
September 8, 2010
Women from Across the Country to Take Part in the Governor General’s Conference on the Security of Women
OTTAWA—More than 130 women and men will participate in the Governor General’s conference “Together for Women’s Security” that will be held at Rideau Hall on September 9 and 10, 2010. Many will deliver remarks including the Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister for Status of Women.
Here is the list of panelists that will take part in the conference:
Thursday, September 9, 2010
After 50 years, where are we?
As experts in women’s rights and security, the speakers will analyze the evolution of Canadian women’s rights since the Canadian Bill of Rights in 1960 and will talk about the intrinsic link between rights and security.
- Constance Backhouse, professor of law, University of Ottawa
- Lucie Lamarche, professor, Human Rights Research and Education Centre
- University of Ottawa
In women’s words
The panellists will share their experiences in their respective fields. They will also share their perspectives on the evolution of women’s security, their analysis of the present situation, their views for the future as well as their thoughts on what is needed to guarantee the security of women and girls. The panel presentations will be followed by a question and answer period and a moderated discussion.
- The Honourable Jean Augustine, Fairness Commissioner for Ontario
- Her Worship Elisapee Sheutiapik, Mayor of Iqaluit
- The Honourable Belinda Stronach, Executive Vice-Chair, Magna International Inc. and Chair, The Belinda Stronach Foundation
- Allison Fisher, Executive Director, Wabano Centre for Aboriginal Health
- Francine Pelletier, journalist and documentary filmmaker
Friday, September 10, 2010
Challenges and strategies—Discussion with women and men working towards solutions
The panellists will talk about their experience in their areas of work and their analysis of the security of women today. They will also share the actions they are taking and the solutions we should be looking at to improve the security of women and girls. The panel presentation will be followed by a question and answer period and a moderated discussion.
- Alia Hogben, Executive Director, Canadian Council of Muslim Women
- Bonnie Diamond, Co-Chair, Feminist Alliance for International Action (FAFIA)
- Michael Kaufman, Co-founder, White Ribbon Campaign
- Fanny Wylde, lawyer
- Shelagh Day, Director, Poverty and Human Rights Centre
- The Honourable Louise Otis, lawyer and mediator
Final remarks and closing of the conference
A representative of the conference participants will offer closing remarks, followed by remarks by the Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Public Works and Government Services and Minister for Status of Women. To conclude, Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean will officially close the conference with her reflections on the discussions that occurred during the various conference sessions.
To obtain the biographies of the panelists or for more information on the conference “Together for Women’s Security”, visit the Web site www.gg.ca.
- 30 -
Rideau Hall Press Office