Groups and Schools
Groups must make reservations a minimum 48 hours in advance by calling 613 991 4422 or 1 866 842 4422 (toll-free). You can also reach us by fax at 613 993 1656 or by email at email@example.com.
Residence Tour Schedule
- September to March: guided tours available daily, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., by reservation.
- April to June, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., by reservation.
- July / August: guided tours available daily, at 10 a.m. by reservation. Open house format, self-guided tours from 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily. No reservation required.
Tours are offered on statutory holidays from May to October. Tours are not offered on Remembrance Day, throughout the Holiday Season or over the Easter long-weekend.
Grounds Tour Schedule
The grounds are open daily from 8 a.m. until one hour before sunset. We have two ways for you to discover the grounds of Rideau Hall:
- Take a guided tour with one of our tour guides, from May to October, daily, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Pick up a self-guided tour brochure at either entrance (the Thomas Gate off Sussex Drive, or the Mackay Gate, off Mackay Street), and explore the grounds at your leisure, following the interpretive panels along the paths.
Visit Rideau Hall for an educational tour of the historic residence and breath of fresh air on its beautiful grounds. Guides outline the role and responsibilities of the governor general within our parliamentary system and society. Civics and history lessons gain a sense of place with a visit to where our governors general have lived and worked since Confederation.
You can reserve a tour either by calling 613-991-4422 or 1-866-842-4422 (toll-free); by fax at 613-993-1656; or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Useful Links to Programs Offered by Other Organizations
Learn about the Teachers Institute on Canadian Parliamentary Democracy, an annual program that brings teachers from across the country together on Parliament Hill.
- Washrooms are available at the Visitor Centre, located on Thomas Street
- Bus drop-off located on Princess Avenue (see map below for more details)
- Picnic tables and play structure for children
- Wheelchairs available on-site (please let us know in advance if your group has any special needs)
Tour buses can drop off visitors in the lay-by area adjacent to the site on Princess Avenue, next to the main gate on Sussex Drive. Drivers must remain with their buses in this area during the tours.
Please see the map for more information about the location of the lay-by. If you have any questions, feel free to contact the Rideau Hall Visitor Services' Office at 613‑991‑4422 or 1‑866‑842‑4422 (toll-free) .
How to Get to Rideau Hall
Rideau Hall is a 3.5-kilometre walk or drive from Parliament Hill along scenic Sussex Drive, or a short bus ride (octranspo.com or call 613‑741‑4390 for information on bus schedules).
- Cars: street parking is available in the surrounding neighbourhood
- Buses: bus lay-by located on Princess Avenue
Rideau Hall is a working residence and official events may require unforeseen changes to your visit.
Brochure Historic Home and Workplace of Canada's Governor General — Group Tours
(PDF — 1.2 Mb)